Pages

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

50 Miles in Each of the 50 States in 50 Days

David Landsberg knows the difference a life-saving organ transplant can make. After all, he's endured a genetic kidney disease his whole life. The disease really took it's toll in 1997 when David's left kidney and spleen were removed. Soon after, he went on dialysis, and a year later the disease took his right kidney, too. Then, 1999 came along and David received a life-saving kidney transplant on July 4th. His hero was a six-year old boy who died in a car accident that weekend.

Like many of us who have received a life-saving transplant, David is now out spreading the word about the miracle of organ donation. He founded an organization called Society for Organ Donor Awareness to help with this efforts. On July 4th of this year, the 12th anniversary of his transplant, he began his latest organ donation awareness project, and it involves cycling. He is currently on a 50 day long bike ride in which he is riding 50 miles in each of the 50 states. He rides in a different state each day. David calls the project 50/50/50, and when asked why he's doing it he said, "I'm doing it to honor all donors, including mine, who I never got to meet. And I'm doing this to open up the dialogue about the need for organ donations. I think about that little boy every day of my life. And I hope I'm hitting one out of the park for him."

I couldn't have said it any better.

Source : article on wvgazette.com titled Kidney Recipient Bikes to Raise Donor Awareness 

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: