Pages

Friday, June 25, 2010

2010 U.S. Transplant Games - Update #5

We're getting closer and closer. Check-in for The Transplant Games is now only 5 weeks away with only 4 weeks of practice left. Jim and I practiced together twice more this week bowling a combined 875 Tuesday and a 968 today. Tuesday's score would have won us silver in 2008 missing gold by 7 pins. Today's total would have been a gold medal winner.

I'm still not bowling as well as I'd like. However, I picked up more spares today than I have been and learned some more things about different lane conditions. I'm still having issues getting my Roto-Grip Cell Pearl to turn the way it used to, but I'll keep working at it. I believe, though, that it may be the lanes where I've been practicing. I learned today that the facility sometimes only oils the lanes every 2 or 3 days which allows the oil to accumulate at the end of the lanes. With a ball set-up like mine that goes long and then flips hard (turns sharply) at the end, that can cause problems. So, I had the pro shop re-surface it again today to help the problem. Hopefully, that'll do it.

Due to these lane conditions and a recommendation from a friend, who's a bowling coach, I decided that starting next week I'm gonna mix up my practice locations to places I'm not as familiar with. I'm wondering if this oil accumulation is preventing me from getting an accurate understanding of how my ball is really working. Plus, I believe changing locations some could pay dividends when I get into the new environment in Madison. It kinda goes along with a quote I ran across from one of my heroes and favorite NASCAR driver, Dale Earnhardt - "It's not always the fastest car that wins the race, it's the one who refuses to lose." That's the game plan for the next 5 weeks - refuse to lose.

Lastly, online fundraising ends in only 5 days on June 30th. If you haven't donated but would like to, you can do so at my online fundraising site by clicking here. Any amount will be greatly appreciated whether it's $5, $10, $25, or even $100.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: