Pages

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Circle of life in Illinois

A story in the Chicago Sun-Times, Kidney Donors, Recipients Form Their Own Circle of Life, tells of three Illinois residents who each donate a kidney to a complete stranger. Why ?? Each of them had a family member who needed a kidney transplant, but they were not compatible donors. Therefore, they were guaranteed that if they would each donate a kidney to a stranger, in turn, their family member would receive a kidney from a stranger. I guess you could at it along the lines of "scratch my back and I'll scratch yours."

It's an interesting concept and one that I've don't think I've heard of before. But hey - if it works, saves lives, and doesn't break any laws or present any ethical dilemmas, why not do it. Right ??
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: