Pages

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Three Rivers cancelled

It occurred to me last week that CBS had not aired Three Rivers, the drama about life at a Pittsburgh transplant hospital, in 3 or 4 weeks. So, I did what any good blogger would do - I went surfing ... on the internet.

According to an article on TVGuide.com on November 30th (read it here), the show has basically been cancelled. CBS plans to complete production on the remainder of the first 13 episodes, the first season, but has not decided if or when they will air.

I believe that CBS could have done an overall better job with the show. One thing that has been consistently done well, however, is CBS' portrayal of how the doctors, nurses, and other medical staff at Three Rivers care deeply for the patients there. It doesn't matter if the patient is poor as dirt, filthy rich, white, black, or whatever. Each one is treated as if they are the most important patient because the staff does whatever it takes to save each one. For that, CBS is to be commended. I loved that aspect of the show.

However, the major thing I did not like in the last couple of episodes that aired was the soap opera feel. CBS began to dabble in relationship issues, social issues, and other matters that were not relevant to transplant. I've talked to other regular viewers who felt that CBS had to bring those things in because it was TV and they had to keep it interesting. I don't agree as I felt the goal needed to be the positive promotion of organ donation. But, that's the great thing about America, we have the freedom to agree to disagree.

Maybe in the future, a transplant drama will get another shot. We'll pray that if that happens, it'll be a more successful show.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: