Pages

Monday, June 17, 2013

A Tune That Will Make You Think

Anybody been watching the news lately ? It seems that all we hear is bad news. There's a war in Syria. Plus, we've got IRS Gate, SpyGate, Benghazi Gate, politicians hating each other, and people killing, robbing, and maiming each other for no reason. It's insanity. The world is out of control.

Pride (White Lion album)
Pride (White Lion album) (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
As I think about all the crap above, and I do mean crap, I can't help but wonder what kind of world is the next generation gonna live in ? As chaotic and mean as it is now, I can't imagine what it's gonna be like in the future as things continue to deteriorate. Thinking about all of this brought me to the song I've picked for today's Music Monday.

Today's tune is "When the Children Cry" by White Lion from their 1987 album Pride. The song reached #3 on the charts and is one of the best known and widely played ballads from the '80s. As you watch the video and listen to the music, I think you will find that the lyrics are powerful, and they will leave you with much to think about. The video is embedded below or can be watched by clicking here.



Some music critics have suggested that some of the lyrics in the chorus of the song show a fondness for Communism by the band. Whether that is true or not, I do not know. However, when you consider that most hair bands of the '80s, such as White Lion, were primarily focused on women and booze, I, as a fan of music from that era, do not agree with such an assertion. I think Communism was the farthest thing from the bands' minds. However, even if their assertions were true, I still think most of us can agree with the band's main point in the song - what type of world are we leaving for the children ?

It might be the most important question of our time.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: