Pages

Friday, May 28, 2010

2010 U.S. Transplant Games - Update #1



For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope a future.
                                                         Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV)
Starting today and going through July 23rd, I will be posting updates here about my training and fundraising for the 2010 U.S. Transplant Games in Madison, WI. Then, starting July 30th, I will post daily updates from The Games.

The picture above is from the 2008 U.S. Transplant Games in Pittsburgh, PA. Jack (left) and Ruth (right) are my donor (Kent's) mom and dad who made the trip, too. The Pittsburgh Games were my first and I wanted to win gold so, so badly for them, but it wasn't to be. Jim and I bowled a 818 in the doubles, finishing 4th, and I only managed a 341, only 11th, in the singles. However, we learned from it and are determined to do much better this go around.

Lately, my bowling and fundraising has been a struggle. In January, February, and March, my per game average was in the mid-160s. April was 146 and May was 136. Fundraising had not been any easier. When I first put the fundraising page up in April, I was blessed with $750 of my $1500 goal in two weeks. However, I had not received another penny in over a month. I was beginning to get frustrated and honestly was beginning to question going on the trip. Then ...... yesterday rolled around.

Earlier in the week I had been praying and asking the Lord to provide funds and to get rid of my "bowling demons." I even went so far as to wash my bowling towel and wrist support glove in an effort to rid myself of them mentally. Yesterday, Jim and I bowled a 984 in practice which would have won gold in our age group in the doubles in Pittsburgh by 100 pins !! I bowled a 497, averaging 166, which would have placed me 5th in the singles competition in 2008 !! My target is a 500-550, but I had not broken 140 in a single game in weeks. The 497 was my best day in three months. After three frames I told Jim, "I'm back !!" Jim bowled a 487 which would have placed him .......... 5th in the singles in 2008, also. Coincidence ?? I don't think so. We needed a confidence booster and we got it. But the story doesn't end there.

After getting home, I checked my e-mail and noticed one titled "Congratulations !! You've met your fundraising goal !!" I thought, "Do what ??" An anonymous donor had donated the remaining $750 needed to help me reach my goal of $1500 !! Another coincidence ?? No. I don't think so. I don't believe in coincidences. Yesterday morning, both of my prayer needs were answered. Now I can relax and concentrate on being consistent bowling. The financial need is met. However, other Team Tennessee athletes have not yet met their goals. Therefore, if you still would like to contribute, please do so on my site (here). I plan to give any funds contributed on my page that I do not need to my other teammates. Guess you could call it my version of "Pay it Forward."

Lastly, if the anonymous donor is out there reading this blog, I have only one thing to say - "Thank You !!" Furthermore, if someone reading this does not believe in the power of prayer, I urge you to give it a try by first asking Jesus into your heart. As the scripture above says, He has great plans for you. Give Him a chance to show you. He doesn't promise life will be easy, but He does promise to never leave you. I have been blessed tremendously, but sometimes He still has to remind me of His great plan just like He did yesterday.

P.S. Please check back on Monday, May 31st, Memorial Day. It will be a special day here on The Second Chance Sheepdog as I make a special announcement. See ya then. May God Bless you all.
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

Sherrie said...

WOW. The power of prayer....