Pages

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Helping cancer and burn victims through skin donations

Most of my blog posts focus on how organ donation saves lives, but tissue donation is just as important.  Oftentimes, it improves a person's quality of life. A Sacramento, CA plastic surgeon, Dr. Charles Perry, is working with the Musculoskeletal Transplant Foundation (MTF) and his patients to help people in need of skin and tissue transplants.

The Living Skin Donation Program provides these needed skin and tissue transplants to patients who have been the victims of cancer, burns, or other trauma. The donations are made up of unneeded skin or tissue from Dr. Perry's patients which was removed during tummy tucks or other plastic surgery procedures. The program not only helps people needing the skin transplants but also gives Dr. Perry's patients a sense of doing something good by helping someone in need. It's recycling at it's finest.

Source : SFGate.com article titled Skin Donations at Sacramento Plastic Surgery Practice Help Cancer Survivors, Born Victims
Enhanced by Zemanta

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would like to get a tummy tuck, but I cannot afford one. Will doctors do one for free if I donate my skin to burn and cancer patients?

The Second Chance Sheepdog said...

I do not know, but that's a good question. I would suggest you touch base with a plastic surgeon and ask. Let me know what you find out.

boat donation said...

Do you accept any type of vehicle donation? I plan to donate my old car to help people in need.

The Second Chance Sheepdog said...

I do not, but you could contact the Tennessee Kidney Foundation. Their website is http://www.tennesseekidneyfoundation.org/. I think they would accept a car donation.

Anonymous said...

hi i dont know if this site still active but i did a gastric bypass surgery a few years ago.... but now i i really need a tummy tuck but i cant affort it if i donate my skin is there any assosiation, dr or hospital that can do the tummy tuck for free...i'm desperate email me please panteratierna68@aol.com

The Second Chance Sheepdog said...

Some plastic surgeons will do plastic surgery, as you suggested, if you donate your skin. Contact one in your area to find out if they provide such a service or participate in such a program.

Anonymous said...

My husband lost weight and is baggy all over can he donate his skin he has a rare blood type will this make a diffrence?

The Second Chance Sheepdog said...

I recommend your husband contact his doctor regarding such a donation. The doctor can likely direct him to the appropriate people.