- www.cbssports.com - "Florida State : Auburn Knew Signals In BCS Title Game"
- www.tomahawknation.com - "Kelvin Benjamin Appears to Tell Jimbo Fisher Auburn Coach Dameyune Craig Was Calling Out FSU's Plays"
|English: National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) logo. Source: http://www1.ncaa.org/eprise/main/Public/mlp/promotions_special_events/pe_web/promo_manual/memos/identity.pdf Converted by User:King of Hearts from :Image:National Collegiate Athletic Association logo.png using Inkscape. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)|
On the other hand, I would not be surprised if this goes hush-hush. I suspect the NCAA might want to let the whole thing alone letting it die for fear of a potential scandal tarnishing its sacred and favorite cash cow - the SEC.
I find this revelation hilarious. For years, all the college football world has heard is that the ACC and the other "itty bitty" conferences just can't compete with the big, bad, awesome football machine called the SEC. If this allegation is indeed true, to me it means :
- Auburn felt that it was outmatched against FSU and needed an edge. It didn't think it could line up, play FSU straight up, and win. They were scared, so they cheated.
- The 2013 SEC Champ was able to jump out to a 21-3 lead on the ACC Champ for one main reason - stealing signals (cheating) and knowing which plays FSU was running. When FSU put an end to it, Auburn couldn't compete with them and ultimately lost their huge lead and the national championship due to having to play clean, straight up football.
- Since FSU outscored Auburn 31-10 after blocking the signal stealing, how badly would FSU have beaten Auburn if the entire game had been played straight up. After all, in the fourth quarter alone, FSU outscored Auburn 21-10. Unfortunately, we never know.
I just can't help but laugh about this. Revelations that Auburn cheated and still couldn't beat FSU just make this championship even sweeter. I suspect some Alabama fans are laughing pretty hard, too, as it would put egg on the face of the Auburn football program.
This is just too dadgum funny.