Pages

Thursday, March 5, 2015

How Would The Sheepdog Deal with ISIS?

I’m not gonna sugarcoat it or pull punches – ISIS is straight up a scourge in the Middle East. It needs to be eliminated. They are barbaric and have no respect for human life, even the lives of their own people. They are like rabid dogs, and there is only one way to deal with such an animal – you put it down.


Source : Wikimedia.org - NearEast.png
Obama, Congress, and the rest of the civilized world are currently debating what the best course of action is. Is it bombing? Is it troops on the ground? Or, is it a combination of both? Considering that our military has been fighting non-stop in Afghanistan and Iraq for nearly 14 years, I think sending ground troops in should be off the table. 

Like many Americans, Mrs. Sheepdog and I went to see American Sniper a few weeks ago. During my 4 decades of existence, I’ve watched many “war films”. However, American Sniper was very different than all the others in one area - it portrayed how deployment affects a soldier’s family. The way Chris Kyle’s wife begged and pleaded with him not to go back for another tour really grabbed me. It was heart-wrenching. 

I could understand why she felt the way she did, but at the same time, I also understood why he kept going back. His buddies were still there, and he felt like he would be letting them down if he wasn't there watching their back. I think most of us could agree that neither of them were wrong for feeling the way they did. Each of them just had a different perspective. 

Navy Special Warfare Trident Insignia worn by ...
Navy Special Warfare Trident Insignia worn by qualified U.S. Navy SEALs. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
I also suspect similar conversations and feelings are occurring all across this nation right now in the lives of other military families. It is one of the reasons I am 100% against putting troops on the ground to fight ISIS. My other reasons include:  
  • Our warriors and their families are tired after 14 long years of non-stop fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan. They've had enough. They've given more than their share already. They need a break.
  • As long as I've been old enough to understand what the military does, I’ve watched the numbnuts in DC send our forces into engagement after engagement and each time they hamstring our military with pansy rules of engagement and play politics with the resources they need. 
In my opinion, petty partisan politics may be responsible for more American soldiers being killed and wounded in combat than any enemy in the history of this country. If we, as a country, are gonna send our men and women into a fight, then we need to give them whatever equipment their commanders think they need to do the job completely, quickly, and safely. We also need to take the handcuffs off them in regards to the rules of engagement to allow our people to do what needs to be done to complete the mission and get everyone home alive and in one piece. If the country's so-called "leaders", Congress and the President, aren't gonna do these things, then keep our soldiers at home. 

Matthew G. Axelson, Daniel R. Healy, James Suh...
Matthew G. Axelson, Daniel R. Healy, James Suh, Marcus Luttrell, Shane E. Patton, and Michael P. Murphy prior to the battle. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
One example can be seen in the movie Lone Survivor, which I reviewed here last year. It's the true story of Marcus Luttrell and a team of Navy SEALs. At one point in the film, the SEAL team is taking heavy fire on a hillside in Afghanistan. They request air support, but are told none is available due to it all being committed elsewhere. In my review, I said that the lack of air support was DC's fault, because "... they always find millions to spend on their special pork projects ..." and other things but not on the necessities, such as the military. I'm sticking by that, too. 

So, how would I deal with the barbarians called ISIS? It's very simple. I would obliterate them from the air. I would fire up the bomb, cruise missile plants, etc. and run 'em 24/7. Then, I’d bomb ISIS into the dust of the sandhills they call home. Heck, nukes would even be an option as it would only take one well-placed strike to eliminate that pack of crazed dogs for good saving many of the innocent lives these wolves prey on. 

I know that some will disagree with my “no ground troops” position, but I think many others will see things my way. I'm just tired of turning on the news, or picking up a newspaper, and reading where more American soldiers have died or been seriously wounded in that hell hole called the Middle East. It’s been going on for far too long, and it’s time for it to stop, or else I fear it will just be more of the same ol’ same ol’ for years to come. 

If U.S. ground troops are sent in, the only difference will be in addition to seeing captured journalists and Christians beheaded, we'll be watching it happen to captured American soldiers. We need to just go ahead and bomb the place to hell now.

A little bada-bing-bada-boom and fuhggedabout ISIS sounds perfect.

No comments: