Pages

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Open Letter to the NFL and Sports Media Everywhere

Dear NFL, NFL Network, ESPN, CBS Sports, NBC Sports, and Other Media Outlets,

I am a football fan. I have been since I was old enough to know what a football is. During the fall, I eat, drink, and dream about football. I love the game. I love the game inside the game. I love the strategy. I love the best offensive minds in the game matching wits with the greatest defensive minds in the game. However, now that the 2014 NFL draft is over, I've come to the conclusion that it's time to set you straight about some things. 

First of all, I do NOT care.

NFL Network
NFL Network (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
I do NOT care about any NFL player's sexual orientation. I do NOT care if they are, or are not, married. I do NOT care who they are married to. I do NOT care if they have kids, or if they do, how many and what sex they are. I do NOT care to know about a player's mistress or mistresses, girlfriend(s), boyfriend(s), or their baby's momma. I do NOT care about what make, model, and year of car they drive or how many cars they have. I do NOT care about their charities or their charity work. Heck, I do NOT even care about what color of eyes they have.

Why? It's simple - the things I pointed out above are NOT relevant to the game of football even a little bit. In short, if the information you are about to report to me and the rest of the football world does not involve a player's ability to play the game, play in the upcoming season, and help his team win games and championships, then I ... DO ... NOT ... CARE!!

To put this in perspective, I've been a Steelers fan since I was "knee high to a grasshopper," but I don't even care about how long Troy Polamalu's hair or Brett Kiesel's beard are. Neither of those things is relevant to their ability to play football. All I want to know is how they plan to play better pass defense and run defense, versus last year, in order to sack more quarterbacks and crush more opposing running backs in order to win that 7th Super Bowl Trophy.  

If for some reason I decide I do want to know all that other personal, societal, and gossip crap, there are plenty of gossip and other crappy columns I can subscribe to. Heck, I can even visit a player's Facebook page if I want to hear it straight from them. So, knock it off, will ya? If you're gonna report on football, then report on stuff relevant to football - period.

For instance, if you want to report on a player's height, weight, 40-yard dash speed, how much they can bench press and / or squat, I'm good with that. Those things are "football relevant facts." If you want to share a player's stats from last year, or what they have done in the off season to improve their game, I'm good with that, too. During the season, please do share a player's injury status for the upcoming week's game. I'm cool with that, also. In fact, I need that information as quick and as accurate as you can report it. So, please try to be more accurate than the weather people. If you tell me a player is "doubtful" for Sunday, I better not see him play more than a few downs, if that. You feel me? It's imperative I set the lineup for my Fantasy Football Team based upon the most accurate intel possible. I have a championship to win, you know. Priorities, priorities. 

NFL-Chicago-Bears-Family
NFL-Chicago-Bears-Family (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
Now, before you guys and gals write me off as some nut, you should consider whether or not I'm the only football fan that feels this way. I think it's a safe bet that I'm not. For instance, how many Chicago Bears' fans do you think give a crap about Aaron Rogers' new mustache? How many New York Jets' fans do you think give a crap about Tom "Pretty Boy" Brady's newest, even more ridiculous, unmanly looking haircut?  It's a safe bet the answer to both questions is none. Nada. Zero. Zilch. We football fans just want football relevant news. Nothing more, nothing less. Capische?

I hope I have been clear. To me, this is "so easy a caveman can do it." However, if we need to discuss or you need some clarification on one of the points I've made above, I am more that happy to do so. As I said - I love the game. I can be e-mailed via my contact information in this blog's profile.

Sincerely,
Johnny a.k.a. The Second Chance Sheepdog
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: